Monday, November 9, 2009

Eat. Please eat. A Big Woo cry for help.

It's official from "The Board of Toddler Eating Habits." Misho is the world's pickiest eater. For years, I thought I owned the toddler title. He doesn't like bread. Bread? Who doesn't like bread? I'm about to lose my mind. Mac and cheese? No can do. Are you serious? Most children would bathe in mac and cheese if they could. Tonight, I threatened to duct-tape him to the high chair until he at least licked a chicken nugget. A simple meat in nugget form. He likes NOTHING in nugget form. Who can't get on board with a nugget? Was this child sent from PETA as a propaganda tool?

We've tried all the methods: feed him what he wants at all times, plan to introduce new things at least 1000 times before he likes it (myth), don't force it on him or appear in anyway coercive or he'll never eat again, buy the most expensive thing from Whole Foods because then he's sure to like it, sit back and let your child starve.

I know. I sound like a rookie mom. And I am. But this is above and beyond. I've fed, cared for, and dealt with kids, toddler to teen for most of my life. I'm not quite sure where to go on this one. I pulled out the "you're killing your mother" chant for the first time. Well, the first time in a serious, involuntary manner.

Oh and by the way, his likes: pistachios and capers. The pistachio and caper jar was empty tonight.

Remember this face from blog entry past?




This is what I look at every night at dinner. Help me.

3 comments:

Marshall Mama said...

One word: bacon

paige said...

Sounds like he craves intense flavors--salt, sour, etc. Years of food-related speech therapy for the boy suggests that getting him to eat anything new, even if it isn't the most nutrient-dense, is a good way to widen the window, so you can slip in some healthier stuff. PB ritz bits led to pb on whole grain bread with a side of red pepper slices. Food served in an ice cube tray was also a hit--the portion is so small, it seemed less threatening.

You might want to try peas and berries in their original frozen form (don't try to tell me you can buy fresh--i refuse to listen). Sometimes the novelty (and firmness) of the frozen food sends it down the hatch.

Tell us what he will eat regularly, and maybe we can help with expansion ideas.

nienke said...

It may not be the food but the way you present it. Seriously. We once looked after an18 month-old for 6 weeks and he wouldn't eat ANYTHING for dinner the first 4 or 5 days. Turns out we had been using the wrong plate. Maybe your little guy wants to eat with a fork not a spoon, or from a bowl not a plate, or with the yellow placemat not the red one, in the dining room not the kitchen...with candle light and a nice glass of merlot. You get the idea. Mess with the props. It's worth a shot.